Halko Momoi English Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2018-09-22, 17:18:13

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Server move complete. Welcome to the Pikopiko Network!
3283 Posts in 217 Topics by 126 Members
Latest Member: ramend00dles
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Halko Momoi English Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  Visual Culture Room
| | |-+  Glowstick question: color-changing okay??
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Glowstick question: color-changing okay??  (Read 6270 times)
TM2 Rampage

View Profile
« on: 2009-06-19, 00:43:46 »

I got these two battery-powered glowsticks a year ago for $1 each.
When you turn it on, the color appears to be light pink/purple. But when you wave it, you see that it changes color to red, blue, green, etc.

Is this okay to use at idol concerts and whatnot? Is it annoying or anything? One problem I can see is that the stick slightly flashes/flickers like a fluorescent lamp, in order to achieve the color-changing effect when you wave it.
tenton
m.m.m. Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2009-06-19, 04:56:13 »

Sounds like the ones catsspat got a long time ago.

I've seen people use blinking LED sticks at some concerts. That kind of annoys me a little bit (then again, I'm slightly more sensitive to flicker than a lot of people), but I don't think people are going to be mad if you used them. Then again, flickering lights and dark areas is why you get that PSA on a lot of anime (please watch in a brightly lit room, etc.) from the Pokemon incident from years ago.  ;D
ObLaCxZ
m.m.m. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-06-19, 05:17:11 »

I have a pair, and I noticed that they aren't that bright when surrounded by a lot of lights (like when you're closer to the stage and its  lights).  Even the freshly cracked regular 6-hour glowsticks burn brighter.  Plus, I don't wanna have a seizure as tenton said.

I'm probably gonna keep mine though as a memento coz Momoi commented on them as "rainbows"  ;D ;D ;D...that totally made my day  ;D ;D ;D. I'm probably gonna use the one-color mode or the slow color change mode since mine has those options.

SpAcE LoVe!
Nekorin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-06-19, 07:19:54 »

Sounds like the ones catsspat got a long time ago.

I've seen people use blinking LED sticks at some concerts. That kind of annoys me a little bit (then again, I'm slightly more sensitive to flicker than a lot of people), but I don't think people are going to be mad if you used them. Then again, flickering lights and dark areas is why you get that PSA on a lot of anime (please watch in a brightly lit room, etc.) from the Pokemon incident from years ago.  ;D

Unfortunately that was one of the most exciting episodes of Pokemon ever made.  :'(

TM2 Rampage

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-06-19, 09:02:57 »

Yeah, I did notice that the color-change-wavy-things weren't very bright...

Maybe these will be good:
http://www.dreamrave.com/happy-camper-light-stick-p-80.html?osCsid=2a576b1e7b553307075c02584f52b3e9
tenton
m.m.m. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-06-19, 18:53:32 »

The main problem I have with those Happy Camper lights is that they have loose connections. Clapping the sticks together tends to turn them off after a while (where you have to jiggle the cap to regain the connection). Shinji gave Momoi a couple of these at Stage Zero and they kept shutting off. I was constantly struggle with mine at the concert. Maybe I should glue the cap down or something, though that might make life difficult when I need to change the batteries.  ;D
shinji
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2009-06-19, 21:52:07 »

I've been thinking about a way to make the contact better...if I can somehow attach a little springy piece of copper around the edge, it should be much more durable. The other idea I had was to find a way to produce handles for these. It would keep our hands off of the cap, preventing it from coming loose. It would also have the benefit of giving a larger grip without the little clip thing that can hurt when clapping.

TM2 Rampage

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-06-21, 13:42:44 »

Thanks, everyone.

Sounds like you guys don't own any better alternatives... ?  ???
Dracil
m.m.m. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009-06-23, 16:28:34 »

Well, there's some suggestions at http://forums.halkomomoi.com/index.php?topic=25.0

A lot of people seem to use https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=362 with https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=642

There's also the elusive http://home.comcast.net/~alexd00/Conventions/Fanime2009/Glowsticks.jpg which turns out to be very good.

mandi
m.m.m. Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2009-06-23, 17:28:40 »

I got some nice neon ones at Tokyu Hands when I was in Japan, but I can't seem to find them online.. The only downside is they are a little small, but overall I am happy with them.
B-DASH

君は君のままで大丈夫だよ

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009-06-28, 10:05:04 »

:O Has anybody know a store shipping worlwide (Spain specifically xDD)?
A friend got me a glowstick from Japan...but I'd like one with batteries... I don't seem to find a place which sells things like that at home. If not, a place selling packs of normal glowsticks is OK too.

EDIT: another question! what size did you usually use?
« Last Edit: 2009-06-28, 10:27:02 by BLT★89 » Logged

tenton
m.m.m. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009-06-28, 22:21:29 »

Not sure where to buy battery powered ones in Europe...I'm guessing shipping from the US to Europe would hurt badly.

The cheap bulk (chemical) ones that we've bought are ~15cm. The Fenix flashlights that some of us have + the traffic wand attachment goes from 23cm to 29cm (LD-10 and LD-20). Happy Camper lights are about 18cm.
B-DASH

君は君のままで大丈夫だよ

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009-06-30, 11:59:18 »

Thanks tenton!
Here in Spain at least are difficult to find, I'll try to get some from ebay or Japan again ...

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »