Halko Momoi English Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2018-12-12, 16:23:24

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Server move complete. Welcome to the Pikopiko Network!
3283 Posts in 217 Topics by 126 Members
Latest Member: ramend00dles
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Halko Momoi English Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  General Lounge
| | |-+  AX 2010
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: AX 2010  (Read 14917 times)
PantsGoblin
m.m.m. Member

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2010-07-01, 04:56:32 »

Drove downtown, waited in line to be told registration is closed, get back and hear they actually let people go in who waited. Not a good start. I need to get there early and hope tomorrow goes better...
alexd00

小麦っこ #01019

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2010-07-01, 06:03:52 »

Got my badge & concert tickets. Organized all the stuff I need to bring for autographs & concerts. Need to get a good night's sleep and then get ready to go crazy trying to do everything I want to do. I'm sure I will see some of you at the various events.

えがおでなんでもできる
tenton
m.m.m. Member

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2010-07-01, 07:04:40 »

Good night's sleep sounds good. I'll settle for just waking up early enough.  ;D

The disadvantage of commuting to a con from home is that...I'm way too comfortable and used to my house.  8)
paranda
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: 2010-07-07, 02:15:23 »

I'm finally set to go, although it's only for Saturday and Sunday. I'll take what I can get and I hope to see Aina Kase  and Rino again :). I hope to see everyone there! Who's up for some spicy Orochon Ramen? Pantsgoblin's gotta go for gold and eat special no. 2 :)
Since you mentioned it, I and this other guy did try for Special no. 2 and got destroyed. And I thought I had experience with this in NYC, but that bowl was just poison. It's not so bad going down, but as soon as you let up, it's a real punch in the gut.
tomoyo

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2010-07-07, 21:51:17 »

I'm finally set to go, although it's only for Saturday and Sunday. I'll take what I can get and I hope to see Aina Kase  and Rino again :). I hope to see everyone there! Who's up for some spicy Orochon Ramen? Pantsgoblin's gotta go for gold and eat special no. 2 :)
Since you mentioned it, I and this other guy did try for Special no. 2 and got destroyed. And I thought I had experience with this in NYC, but that bowl was just poison. It's not so bad going down, but as soon as you let up, it's a real punch in the gut.

Oh shit man. I wanted to try that stuff. Although I'd have to 100% be in normal clothes to even consider it. Anyways destruction doesn't sound pleasant. XD
ObLaCxZ
m.m.m. Member

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2010-07-09, 06:30:48 »

[/quote]

Ah, I've been wondering which one was the hottest: Phaal Curry vs. Special No. 2.  Maybe the cook somehow sensed that you won the Phaal Challenge so he made your ramen extra extra spicy  :o.  I wonder if the people at Orochan wore gas masks too...I'd like to take a picture of that... ;D

Nice to see the same ol' crowd and some new ones too at AX...even if it was just for two days for me.  Good ol' Mangagamer booth's becoming a bit of a landmark spot for all of us...talk about being close to the stage, we might as well be on stage hehehehe  ;D...

SpAcE LoVe!
paranda
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: 2010-07-09, 13:44:01 »

Phaal is definitely hotter. But it's the 30 minute rule and sheer volume on Special no. 2 that makes it truly hard
alexd00

小麦っこ #01019

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2010-07-09, 18:51:59 »

Wow, this ended up being a lot longer than I thought it would be…

There was way too much going on at AX to write about everything, so rather than a typical con report, I’m just going to write a little more in-depth about some of my con highlights. Overall I’d have to say that AX 2010 was a much better experience than AX 2007. A good chunk of that was due to the people I went with, not only because they’re good con company, but because at AX you really need a network of people to take full advantage of the con.

Guest of Honor Breakfast
I wasn’t actually sure if I wanted to shell out the $50 for this because it’s such a gamble. I eventually decided to go for it, and it ended up being amazing and totally worth it. If you don’t know how it works, basically, it’s set up as a buffet-style breakfast. The guests are all at different tables. You can sit at any table and talk to whichever guest you want (if they’re there of course – there is no guarantee as to who will or won’t show up). Every ten minutes or so you rotate to a new table; the entire session lasts about an hour. I’m just going to list all the guests I had a chance to talk to and any interesting questions & anecdotes that I can remember.

Asakawa Yuu – She’s very nice. Apparently she’s been studying English and she’s actually quite decent at it. I think maybe close to half of our conversation was in English, but when things got a little too difficult, she switched to Japanese. I think we talked about Vocaloid stuff for a while, but I can’t remember any specific questions.

Toshihiro Kawamoto – He’s a cool dude. Got to the table a little late, so we didn’t have as much time, plus there were some complicated (and not so great) questions from one of the other people at the table, so we didn’t get quite as much convo going. He did talk about how he likes to draw animals (dogs/ Welsh Corgis/ Ein) and how difficult it was to switch from drawing dogs to cats.

Hiroe Rei – Seemed a little more reserved than the other guests. One of the guys at the table started asking him about the doujin he draws, which got some laughs from the management guy that was with him. I always wonder what kind of a revelation it is for the guests to realize that there are crazy otaku types in America too. He also mentioned that he really wanted to see the Nakatomi building from Die Hard.

Morita Masakazu – Again, kind of got there a little late (I was really hungry so I had to eat something while I was there). The most interesting thing we discussed at his table was the fact that he usually only sleeps about two hours a night. And even less when he’s really busy! Definitely a chill guy though.

Watanabe “Nabeshin” Shinichi – There really wasn’t a lot of Q&A at his table, it was more like just hanging out and shooting the breeze. He’s really an entertaining guy. We talked about taking over the world. He asked where we should start and somebody said New York. He thought that might be a bit too ambitious and asked for some opinions on cities with dumber people. There was also talk about how someone was going to make the AfrOS for computers.

Kitamura Eri – She’s quite attractive, and she was wearing a very cute outfit. I’m sure there’s a name for the type of outfit she was wearing, but I don’t know how I would figure it out and there’s no way I’m going to try to describe it in detail. Most of the conversation centered around Final Fantasy for whatever reason. I guess once you get going on a tangent, it gets stuck in your head for the next question. If you don’t factor in voice acting, she really likes FFVII and FFIX, but including seiyuu, FFX is her favorite. At the end, she asked us to all gather around behind her so she could take a picture for her blog. Unfortunately, she never posted it. :(

Horie Yui – Now this was the one of the coolest things at the convention for me. Hocchan got there really late, just as the whole thing was ending actually. In order to accommodate all the people who wanted to meet her, the staff decided to add two special sessions, just for her. So they set up a table with a ton of chairs around it and let us go as bigger groups to try and get everybody through.

We made it in the first group and sat down right across from her at the table. What was really nuts was that KitaEri decided to join us and sat down right next to Hocchan. Even more crazy was that Yuu and Masakazu came over too, and sat right behind me & Omo! They were actually trying not to be seen by Yui, so they were ducking down in their seats trying to hide. Yui noticed something was going on, so she stood up trying to see who was behind us. I kind of stuck out my shoulders to block her view and Yui motioned and asked me and Omo could move a little so she could see what was going on. I was having a great time, but this was just the beginning.

By now, the jig was up, so Yuu and Masakazu stood up to talk to Yui. I wish I was recording the conversation, but it went something like this (not exact quotes obviously):

Yuu: Welcome to LA! I’m so excited to meet you!
Yui: Starts to say something in Japanese…
Yuu: (holding up her hand like a stop sign) I don’t speak Japanese.
Yui: www
Yuu: We are 22 years old.
Yui: I am 17 years old.

At this point, the entire table is cracking up. I don’t know how funny this comes across in text, but it was hilarious. I only wish that I had remember to *oi, oi* when Yui said she was 17. The whole time Masakazu is just randomly throwing in “Yeah, yeah” when Yuu would say stuff.

So after this craziness, things kind of settled down and other people at the table started asking questions. Of course, there were a lot of requests for lines, especially because Yuu and Eri were at the table too. Yuu said something as Motoko, Yui said a line as Minori, and Eri said a line as Ami. We also got a “(watching a scary movie) uguu” from Hocchan. I don’t remember any of the questions besides that stuff, but my mind was totally blown by then. It was one of my top con experiences ever.

AKB48 Concert
I didn’t really know anything about AKB until late last year, when I went to see them at NYAF. For the most part, their music isn’t exceptional, but it’s entertaining enough, and they put on a good show. Of course, it doesn’t hurt that they’re all pretty cute.  They played just about every song I wanted to hear, Oogoe Diamond, Aitakatta, Namida Surprise. They led off with River, which is probably my favorite song of theirs, so that was cool. I was a little disappointed that they didn’t perform Ame no Doubutsuen, because the animal costumes they wear are cute and hilarious.

After the concert, I went to the autograph session. It was kind of nuts because it was right after the concert and there was a big rush of people trying to get to the right room ASAP. The session started late and ended early, so they only made it through about 70-80 people, which was too bad. I didn’t make it (not really close actually). By this point (and taking into account their session at NYAF), I kind of figured it’s just too much of a PITA to get their autographs, so I ended up not even trying the next day (which ended up being the totally right call).

May’n & Nakajima Megumi (and Kanno Yoko) Concert
Man, I was so pumped for this concert… and it was awesome. If you’ve seen the Macross F concert, it was kind of like that, except not quite as much of a production. That kind of stuff doesn’t really matter that much to me though. In fact, it’s kind of nice when it’s just the singers up there doing their thing.

I’ve always been more of a May’n/ Sheryl fan when it comes to Macross F, although I haven’t actually watched the series. I just like Sheryl’s songs better and I think May’n is the better performer of the two. To be fair, Mamegu is really still just starting out, so who knows how things will develop over time? They played just about all the Macross F songs you could want. On the May’n side, I’m particularly partial to Welcome to My Fanclub’s Night and Iteza Gogo Kuji Don’t Be Late (motteke!!).

My favorite song from Ranka/ Mamegu is definitely Seikan Hikou, which is such a great song live (*kira*). Yoko Kanno came on stage during this song and did *kira* along with the audience (although no mention of her moe-ness this time around :) ). Most people kind of figured the secret guest would be Kanno when we saw the piano on stage, but it was still a fun reveal. After Kanno came out, she manned the piano for the acoustic versions of a few songs, including a stellar May’n+Mamegu duet version of Diamond Crevasse.

They wrapped up with Triangular, which was a great way to end the show. No encore, but I really couldn’t complain by that point.

Mell Concert
Not quite as much to say about the Mell concert. She definitely puts on a good show though. It was probably the loudest of all the concerts, and also (not surprisingly)the concert I had the best seats for. Although I have to mention the odd magic act they ran just before the concert and during Mell’s costume change. The first trick was pulling all these umbrellas out of nowhere… which was kind of funny at the end when there were 10+ umbrellas lying all over the stage.

Oh yeah, also have to mention the crazy keyboard guy, who is really a trip. I had completely forgotten about this guy after the Otakon concert, but once he started running around, I totally remembered. If I was better at remembering song titles, I’d probably try to talk a little bit more about the concert, but alas, when I listen to CDs, it’s usually in the car and I don’t have a fancy display that shows song names. :(

Guest Panels
Horie Yui - This panel actually wasn’t that great. Hocchan and KitaEri were both brought over as industry guests of NIS America, and all of their panels were basically captive audience plugs for Toradora. They showed the first episode, then had a few “write-in” questions for Q&A, a few walk-up questions, and then that was it. Although we did get a “Moru ze, chou moru ze!” out of it, so I suppose it wasn’t a complete loss. At the end of the panel, they said they weren’t handing out tickets for the autograph session afterwards, so this started a crazy stampede of people trying to get to the room. I’m surprised nobody got trampled.

I was one of the lucky few who managed to get in; in fact, I was the very last person. This was actually awesome as I had a little time to chat with her since there was nobody behind me in line. Since I was getting my copy of Q&A II signed, we talked a little bit about it. Good times.

Asakawa Yuu – Panel was pretty entertaining actually. One guy asked a question about her hentai stuff, but she said since “Asakawa Yuu” wasn’t in them, she [can’t/won’t] talk about it. There was a funny story when one guy asked about which character she resembles. When she was a kid, she took a stick and beat up some boy who was picking on her, so it kind of makes her think of Motoko from Love Hina.

May’n – Bad translator and bad questions. Not really much else to say. If I had thought about it at the time, I would have asked for her to do the Nyan-Nyan song.

Nakajima Megumi – I don’t remember anything besides the Nyan-Nyan song, which was great. I really wish she would have stood up and done the motions too, but that might just be me being greedy.

Loot
Well, besides a ton of autographs, I did pick up a few items here and there. NISA brought their bonus posters with them, so I picked up Toradora 1 and Persona ~Trinity Soul~ 1. I also grabbed the Gurren Lagann movie 1 LE from Bandai. Kinokuniya had some “older” CDs marked at 50% off, and I managed to find a couple mosaic.wav CDs and the first-press Eva 1.0 OST for good prices. And finally, the crown jewel of my trip, a Komugi sketch from Watanabe Akio. I need to get a frame for it, but for right now I’ve just got it standing on my desk. I can’t stop looking at it, it’s just so awesome.

えがおでなんでもできる
tenton
m.m.m. Member

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2010-07-10, 00:57:00 »

Yeah, like I was telling Paranda, that Meet the Guests Reception is a $50 gamble. But with the amount of guests at AX, it's worth a roll of the dice. When I saw Asakawa Yuu there, it felt like it was an acceptable gamble. Then when we sat down next to KitaEri, it felt more worth it. Then when they said Hocchan was coming and a little late, that $50 seemed like a huge bargain. ;D

And Mamegu has a love of 80s/90s idols and it showed so much at the concert. I mean, I could kind of see it on the Macross F Budokan live BD, but to see it in person is a different thing. To see Kanno Youko do the whole set of moves for Seikan Hikou was awesome. I knew she was going to do it, too, because that's what she did at Budokan and there wasn't any other reason for her to be there for that song.  8)
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »